Founding Engineer (Backend - Node/TS | ETL) - Equity to 0.50%, 225k, 401k match (4%)
LocationNew York, New York
Compensation / Benefits: $185k - $225k / Equity 0.25% - 0.50% | Health/Dental, 401k (4% match) & more!
Our client based on the East Coast (work anywhere in the USA / Remote) provides a stable, scalable, reliable, well documented REST API (modern tech) with a unified data model so each time a PropTech wants to add a new Property Management System (PMS) integration, the same data model as any previous integration (with us) is delivered to them - making it as easy as flipping a switch to help them scale! They have solid funding and VC's are still knocking at their door trying to get in. The founding team is three startup veterans with pedigrees from Harvard, HubSpot, and LogMeIn, with the additional experience of having gone through an acquisition.
Come join a team of enterprise software builders and operators, at 'ground floor' level, to build industry-shaping tools. You will be building developer-facing APIs for the $11T professionally-managed real estate industry. The property management software industry, the operating core for professionally-managed residential and commercial real estate, is fragmented and difficult to build on top of. Their API makes it easier to work with these systems, allowing for greater innovation in the PropTech space.
This role will work closely with the CTO to create, maintain and document their externally consumed API. Our client has a "Core Four" set of underlying principles they follow. These four guiding principles stem from the countless challenges encountered by PropTechs working to innovate the industry. Any engineering decision they make should improve their standing in at least one of these 4 categories. Reliability: their API should be as reliable and dependable as possible — spanning several regions and cloud vendors for maximum uptime. Consistency: from accurate API documentation to our normalized data model, PropTechs can depend on them for consistent implementation. Resiliency: special attention is placed on retry and replay strategies for their ETL system with the knowledge that requests will fail and vendor payloads will change unannounced. This is where they really shine and take away the pain from their customers. Visibility: access to documentation, system (internal and external) statuses, event logs and even opting into webhooks for important event notifications is a major component of what our client provides to our customers.
- You love open communication and moving quickly
- You are passionate about developer experience and obsessed with creating great APIs that other developers love to use
- You understand the power and importance of writing tests for your code
- You are passionate about creating amazing developer experiences (internal and external)
- You are passionate about their “Core Four” principles (Reliability, Consistency, Resiliency, and Visibility)
- You love innovation and enabling others to innovate for an industry in need
- You have informed opinions and experience creating and maintaining REST APIs
- 3+ years writing tests to support success and failure code paths
- Strong familiarity with how distributed systems work and how they differ from centralized systems
- Production ETL experience
- 5+ years of production NodeJS
- 3+ years postgres or similar (Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, RDS, etc.)
- 3+ years Jest or similar testing framework
- Create and maintain REST API consumed by their customers
- Develop outage alerting system
- Create and maintain webhooks within a distributed system
- Responsible for the accuracy of API documentation
- Make constant improvements to query performance metrics
- Communicate changes, ideas, thoughts, failures, and improvements to the team
- Act as a developer advocate at all times
- Troubleshoot and fix failures
- Work as a team to support your fellow engineers in problem-solving and best practices
- Write tests for your own code and your teammates’ code when needed
- Perform code reviews
- You have worked with SOAP APIs before
- Remote always!
- Excellent Healthcare plans to choose from.
- 401k (4% matching).
- $2,500 toward a new computer of your selection
- You can use up to $1,500 of your workspace budget on ergonomic office furniture, state-of-the-art computer equipment, and stylish decor