Controls Engineer - Energy Storage
With a long corporate history in the energy industry, our client is a solar + storage systems integration and lifecycle services provider with highly integrated hardware and software capabilities. The robust software and top tier energy storage solutions are developed by expert teams of engineers and technical professionals. Employees have extensive industry knowledge and experience who enthusiastically seek to build on the companies advanced product offerings to deliver and maintain world class systems.
This position is responsible for the development, implementation, and maintenance of controls software libraries, PLC hardware design, and documentation for battery energy storage projects and product solutions.
PLC Controls Engineer
- Develop and maintain a universal, scalable PLC platform that integrates with multiple project configuration and equipment, including the maintenance of PLC BOM and specification
- Develop and maintain the control libraries for the energy storage controller, including the integration of new PCS and Battery configurations into the control libraries
- Develop and maintain design documentation, including FMEA’s, System Requirements, Design Standards, and the Controls O&M Manual
- Develop and maintain HMI's to support commissioning and operation
- Testing and validation of developed components, including support for factory acceptance tests, on-site commissioning, and site acceptance tests.
- Vendor oversite – technical oversite of vendors for specific projects
- Participate in product planning and roadmap development
- Understand relevant safety and compliance requirements and ensure adherence
- Responsible for ensuring all Energy Storage SCADA systems are configured and operated in a manner compliant with company Energy Storage
- Develop EMS infrastructure and ensure enhanced asset performance that is critical to the overall success of the company
- Ensure energy storage controller policies and procedures comply with all applicable regulatory and contractual requirements
- Provide resolution of energy storage control system and battery/pcs related issues by incorporating new technology as needed
- Support special projects to improve energy storage controls, Remote Operations, SCADA, and communications functionality through analysis, requirement definition, and tool building
- Modify programs to update data maps, user displays, and program logic
- Design and execute acceptance test plans for new projects
- Assist OEM vendors with understanding and meeting acceptance criteria
- Interface and provide support to internal organizations including the Engineering staff, Field Services, and Information Technology
- Interface and provide support to external parties including Off-Takers/ISO/TSO support staff, OEM controls engineers support staff, and third-party communication technicians
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the PLC Engineering Manager
- Seeks constant improvement, more efficient and less expensive ways and means in work processes.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Performs special projects and other miscellaneous duties as assigned by senior management.
- Maintains high ethical standards in the workplace.
- Reports all irregular issues and problems to supervisors for solution.
- Maintains good communication with other management, office staff members and outside contacts.
- Complies with all company policies and procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining a clean and safe working area.
Job Dimensions (skills, knowledge & abilities)
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Industrial, Mechanical or Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Process Controls, Engineering Technology, or combination of education and relevant experience
- 2+ years’ experience in power systems including high power (100 kW and above) inverters and DC systems or turbine controls
- 2+ years of experience in technical and data-related roles including demonstrated experience with implementing, operating, and maintaining PLC based control system software
- Medium and Low voltage distribution and protection systems
- Analog electronics (e.g., highly accurate power measurements)
- Familiarity with isolation, DC-DC power supplies, serial communication circuits
- Experience with battery and power management strongly desired
- Understanding of communications diagrams and advanced networking topology is required
- Working knowledge of network security, structured programming languages, energy storage control software, industrial communication protocols, and monitor and control systems
- Background with substation communication equipment and industrial protocols (MODBUS, DNP, ICCP, and OPC) is required
- Experience with design tools such as Microsoft Visio, etc. is a required
- Experience with GE, Rockwell Automation, Schneider Electric or SEL PLC products is a plus
Qualifications (Education & Work Experience)
- Agile, able to handle rapidly changing requirements
- Excellent communication skills (verbal/written)
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Windows system administration
- Ability to be self-motivated and perform duties in a collaborative working environment
- PE License (preferred)
Remote work( Eastern US) - No Sponsorship available
Document Control AssistantDocumentation Control Assistant - 6 month contract Essex Country, MA The Document Control Assistant is responsible for providing general support to the operations of the Document Control and Configuration Management groups. This role will a
- Gloucester, Massachusetts
Manufacturing Engineer/TechnicianManufacturing Engineering Technician - North Shore of Boston ( Recent Graduates with practical internship/co-op experience considered ) The ideal candidate will be have a BS in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, be career drive
- Gloucester, Massachusetts
Director Engineering Program ManagementDirector of Program Management Our metrowest client is an energy startup commercializing an innovative battery technology first developed at MIT. As the Program Management Director you will lead several NPD programs and a small team of Program Manag
- Worcester, Massachusetts