Client Type: Construction/Civil Engineering – leading manufacturer of cold-formed steel framing and interior/exterior finishing products in North America.
Title: Research Engineer
This is not a remote position. Must be willing to relocate (if not local).
Our client has an immediate need for an entry level Research Engineer. This position works under the guidance of a Senior Research Engineer or Research Manager and requires a Master's degree in engineering with a preferred emphasis on structural engineering and work experience acquired at the Test Engineer level, or appropriate graduate level study. For training and development purposes, assignments may include some work that is typical of a higher level.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Using accepted engineering methods and techniques, solves well-defined problems and performs specific and limited portions of broader projects, under technical guidance of an experienced engineer.
- Applies standard structural test engineering practices and techniques in specific situations, adjusts and correlates data, recognizes discrepancies in results, and follows operations through a series of related detailed steps or processes.
- Defines and improves practices from experiences on small projects. Conducts experiments/tests in the laboratory/field that include taking measurements and recording observations, collecting, compiling, and processing data.
- Contributes data/findings for use in reports, documents, or oral/written presentations.
- Interacts in a collaborative manner with other team members to accomplish organizational goals; may provide ideas to improve efficiency at group level.
- Independently conducts small scale load tests and assists in the conduct of larger scale structural load tests.
- Contributes to the compilation (which includes developing plots or tables from collected test data, creating CAD drawings of the test assembly, documenting the test loading procedure, and/or reviewing drafts of the test report) and reporting of results.
- Directs activities of technical staff on specific assigned projects.
- May guide the work of peers, technicians, or other support staff as necessary to achieve specific assignments.
- Master's degree in Civil Engineering with an emphasis on Structures, or related engineering field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of one year's experience with civil structural testing in general, or analytic investigation of cold-formed steel behavior; some or all may be in relevant educational programs.
- Experience in the use of and a working knowledge of AISI code in a testing environment.
- Knows the fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of structural engineering; continues development of technical expertise and knowledge of cold-formed steel behavior through experience and application.
- Works under limited supervision to complete assigned tasks/projects, demonstrating the ability to work independently. Supervisor screens assignments for unusual or difficult problems and selects techniques and procedures to be applied on non-routine work. Receives close supervision on new aspects of assignments
- Ability to analyze complex data obtained from testing or analysis.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time and lift 50 lbs.
- Office and test lab.
- Full benefits package including: Medical, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Accounts and Life Insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Annual Incentive Pay
- Paid Time Off
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Professional Certification Reimbursement Program
- Community Service Day
- Working with a company that fosters a work-life balance