Compensation: $65,0000.00 range, + benefits, bonus, profit sharing, 401k match and more!
This is an exciting opportunity to work with a Boston, MA based growing firm in the construction industry (40 Million in sales, 7 years in business)! The Staff Accountant position will be responsible for monitoring the progress of projects, approving expenses, investigating variances, and ensuring that project billings (Accounts Receivable) are issued to customers, and payments collected. This position is fully responsible for the entire project billing process.
- Our client is not interested in accounts payable accountants. They need someone with broad experience and ideally with some construction or project management experience. Sage experience is definitely required.
The most import skills the Staff / Project Accountant MUST HAVE:
- Extremely strong written and oral communication – our client is looking for someone capable of exceptional communication with their Clients and Vendors
- Accuracy, strong organization skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks – attention to detail
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment, demonstrated ability to manage deadlines
- An upbeat personality is key for this small office
Targeted Experience / Typical Duties for the Staff / Project Accountant:
- Construction industry experience would be a plus, NOT a requirement
- Effectively communicate with Project Managers (PM) and the Principals-in-Charge (PIC), regarding contract documents, change orders and other contract modifications, approvals, and any additional services-related to billing.
- Create project accounts in the system
- Maintain project related records; including contracts and change orders
- Prepare all invoice packages containing draft / final invoices for all billable projects, including backup (such as lien waivers & COIs) for approval by the Accounting Supervisor.
- Submit the finalized invoices. File consultant / client invoice copies in the billing folder.
- Assess and pursue opportunities for maximization of client billing; communicate with Accounting Supervisor, as to your observations and actions taken.
- Research any unbilled issues to optimize the billing possibilities.
- Maintain the billing folders for projects, with all the appropriate documents, including expenses, Subcontractor invoices, and monthly invoices, in accordance with standard procedures.
- Perform accounts payables. Keep track of subcontract contract amounts, change order amounts and make payments under the direction of the PIC. It is expected that the Biller maintain a continuous line of communication to clear any open issues.
- Work with the cash / credit card receipts team member to reconcile variances that occur in the application of cash / credit cards.
- Generate / distribute bi-monthly AP, receivables reports and monthly profitability reports. Review account totals pertaining to project assets and expenses. Investigate project variances / submit variance reports to management.
- Set up new projects, make transfers of employee billable hours and expenses, and open / close time classes in company system.
- Write off any uncollectible receivables, and labor or expenses.
- Review weekly time sheets under the direction of the Human Resource manager.
- Work with subcontractors to receive required paperwork in a timely fashion, proof of insurance, lien waivers and invoices
- Provide year end support of auditor requirements, which may include research / reconcilement.
- Perform additional assignments, as directed by the Supervisor.
Education and Experience for the Staff / Project Accountant:
- Bachelor’s Degree or some college courses in accounting.
- Experience f billing / receivables.
- A thorough knowledge of standard contract terms, including hourly, lumps sum, not to exceed and how they are applied in a billing process.