Manufacturing Engineering – Motor Development in Tyngsborough, MA
As a Manufacturing Engineer at this high technology company involved in developing the next generation of electric motors, you will support the company as it introduces new products and improves manufacturability of existing products.
The Manufacturing Engineer must be proficient in the following:
- Process engineering and process control plan development
- Tooling design and implementation
- Documentation systems for all manufacturing
- Implementation of manufacturing support systems including MES (Aegis Factory Logix), ergonomics, 7S, Kaizen, Lean, cross-functional team integration, and continuous improvement activities.
- Working Knowledge on measuring process performance; business analytics and reporting
- Working knowledge of Industry practices; Copy Exact, ESD, SSQA, POR
- Working knowledge of lean and six-sigma principles and tools; flow design, kanban, cycle time, take time, line balancing, constraint theory, kaizen, 7S, demand flow, CpK, and DOE
This position requires someone with broad and deep skills in designing and optimizing manufacturing processes and facilities. You will be expected to be hands on as well as strong with theory and implementation. This is an individual contributor role with opportunity for growth into a functional management position.
Job Responsibilities and Deliverables:
- Ensure all manufacturing processes, equipment, material handing tools and any associated activities have proper safety controls to deliver Zero lost time accidents.
- Baseline and document new and existing manufacturing process – author and maintain Operational Method Sheet (OMS) within the MES system, understand and model Cycle Time and Test Time, determine tooling and packaging and material handling requirements.
- Work closely with development team to understand design intent and integrate controls in manufacturing processes to ensure processes developed are capable. Should be able to use Solidworks CAD tool.
- Develop and perform controlled build process to ensure product is ready to be released to production.
- Monitor production yield and implement corrective action to achieve targets.
- Use error proofing (poke-a-yoke) methods to reduce process variation.
- Manage Rework Process – develop sequences and standard reworks that can be performed – establish procedures and forms – method for tracking – also non-standard reworks and repairs.
- Design test specifications – source or identify resources required to automate the test sequencing and data capture – automate go-no-go acceptance – integrate with MATlab or LabView for calculations and data collection and ensure all data is stored by SN on the network server.
- Enable serialization through barcoding to support build records– minimize data entry errors – enable error-proofing based on end-of-line scanning stations.
- Ensure packaging supplier provides qualified designs to support shipping. Work with engineering for packaging design and qualification – including crate design and shipping fixtures – ISTA requirements.
- Participate in design reviews for new products or product development; Act as MFG liaison for engineering for introducing new product into factory.
- Act as co-author with Engineering on Critical parts program and develop process for identifying/categorizing critical parts, qualifying critical parts (FAI and on-going validation), lot traceability, and Process of Record at Suppliers.
- Develop and support MFG BOMs – work with Engineering and Materials groups to transfer Solidworks PDM BOMs into ERP. Ensure BOM Accuracy – transactions must be correct for materials – including expensed parts – need to drive production variances to zero
- Experience in a repetitive mixed model manufacturing environment.
- DFMECA, PFMECA, SPC
- Design and perform process capabilities studies to ensure PpK is at a predefined acceptable level.
- Data Automation – SQL based queries – scheduled reporting – data extraction and parsing.
- Working knowledge of MES Systems; Factory Logix(AEGIS).
- Firm understanding of revision control, ECO practices, and manufacturing workflows.
- A broad range of engineering skills, understanding mechanical and electrical concepts, knowledge of manufacturing methods and practices, and working with design documents controlled by specifications and geometric tolerances .
Education and Experience:
- BS/MS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent and 5+ years of related experience in a product development environment.
- Experience in a motor manufacturing or similar manufacturing environment highly desired.